Monday, May 08, 2006

Church Lady Mac-N-Cheese

Who doesn't love mac-n-cheese? Nobody, that's who.

This is my adaptation of the American classic, based on dozens of batches that I have sampled over years and years of Baptist potlucks. And I could be biased here, but I believe that Baptists make the best mac-n-cheese. And I believe that browned, crunchy burnt cheese is an addictive substance. Please enjoy it responsibly.

Of all of my recipes, I think this one is Anthony's favorite. We used to eat this stuff every now and then when we lived together at Cottonwood Terrace. It was Anthony and my wife (fiance at the time) who gave this dish its distinctive name.

-----

Church Lady Mac N Cheese

2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 cup milk
2-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided use
2 ounces cream cheese, softened
Salt and pepper to taste

Bring 2 quarts of water to a boil. Add the macaroni, and cook until almost tender. Drain, and set aside.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Melt the butter in a medium saucepan, and add the flour. Cook over low heat until the flour is slightly browned. Using a wisk, add the milk and continue to cook over low heat, stirring quickly and constantly, until thickened (do not allow to boil). Add the cheeses and continue to cook, wisking constantly, until smooth and creamy (be sure to save about 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar for later).

Lose the wisk, and get a large wooden spoon. Add the macaroni to the cheese sauce, and stir until evenly coated. Taste the mixture, and add salt and pepper as necessary. Pour the mixture into a casserole dish, top with the shredded cheddar you set aside, and bake for 30 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and browned on top.

Serve piping hot with an ice-cold IBC Root Beer.

No comments: